Had spinal tap done because of meningitis. After swimming has fever, stiff neck and headache. Treatment?

my father had a spinal tap done because of meningitis, he was swimming in pond near house and a couple of days later has fever, stiff neck, headache. what do you think the cause of meningitis, and what structures and functions have been affected by the meningitis, and is there anything to treat this disease
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral meningitis most common organism

Detailed Answer:

It would have been good if you could have shared the results of the spinal tap, I mean the result of CSF microscopy or analysis. The results help us to understand the organism causing the meningitis be it virus, bacteria, parasites or fungus. There is a variety where no organism are found called aseptic meningitis. You probably have given your age.

Given there is predisposing risk involved with your father, swimming in the pond a viral cause is likely and commoner than others. Since the virus had to travel to the brain coverings it would have first affected the nostrils, eyes and skin and then travel through.

The structures affected are the meninges which cover the brain matter and later the brain itself causing focal brain damage. That is latter stage you should not bother now and the neurologist will be able to evaluate these or prevent this condition.

The treatment of this conditions depends on the organism. Viral meningitis is symptomatic treatment and goes on for two to three weeks. I would prefer to admit the person give good hydration with IV fluids, prevent seizure attacks and add antibiotics routinely.

If you basically looking for specific queries please let me know.