Had spinal fusion of L3-4. Developed hematoma and legs paralyzed. Had infection, staphylococcus epidermis and staphylococcus warneri. Cure?

was all my info lost, I wanted to add some more info???A year ago I had a spinal fusion of L3-4with many complications . I had 5surgeries in 6wks. 2days after the fusion ,a lg hematoma developed and my legs were paralyzed at that time. So back to the OR. Then developed an infection, staphylococcus epidermis and staphylococcus warneri. I ended back in the OR 4 more times for them to remove all the pus and dead bone, including the donor bone.I was on IV vancomycin and rifampin for the infection as I am allergic to penicillin. My latest xray report reads there are five lumbar type vertebrae and a Grade 1 anterolisthesis of L3 0n L4 At this level there is posterior instrumentation and intrapedicular screws transfixing L3 and L4. There is SEVERE disc space narrowing and facet arthropathy at L5-S1 severely narrowing the intervertebral foramina. My surgeon writes in his report, "xrays show no instability or abnormal features" "I am not sure what is causing Mary's ongoing symptoms of pain and numbness in her legs, and there is now slower reflexes in R leg, I am waiting for EMG nerve conduction study and assessment, in the hope of getting some answers "I cant figure out why the surgeon says he doesn't know why I am having problems when the xray report seems to say it in clear English. The xray report from last Sept. was worded moderate disc degenerative changes at L5-S1, not severe.I hope you have some answers for me. I have been in intensive physio since surgery and continue with that for now. I have no balance esp in RT leg, can only walk for about 5-10 min before I lose strength in my legs. I certainly cannot work 12hr shifts right now. It is a major chore just to buy groceries. I am usually very active, bike riding, horseback riding.etc. I have not had that quality of life since the surgery. HELP.I would like an answer, but not if there is a monthly cost. Just the one time, please
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

First off all I wish you a speedy recovery.

Now coming to your problem.

You have degeneration of the lumbar vertebras and severe disc space narrowing.

This degeneration and disc space narrowing impinges on nerve roots and the spinal cord.

This effect creates neurological deficit(like neurological pain, muscle weakness and muscle wasting) in your lower limbs.

The problem with this is if intervened his progresses and causes more limitation.

Physiotherapy is the mainstay of treatment.

Medications like Gabapentin may reduce the neurological pain.

If needed it has to be corrected surgically.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.