Ask a Urologist   »  

Had spinal fusion done. Having problem with urine control. Is this a normal after this type of surgery?

My husband had spinal fusion six days ago. He is having trouble with urine control. Is this a normal thing after this type of surgery? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

You have not mentioned the reason for spinal fusion in your husband. Was it trauma, infection, tumor, or something else?

Urinary bladder is controlled by nerve fibers running through the spinal cord. Hence any problem with the spine may compress on these fibers and lead to problems with urine control. There may be associated problems like abnormal or impaired sensation in the lower part of the body, weakness of legs, or problems with stool control.

This can be due to the disease itself or the surgery. Most of the time the surgical problem resolves in a few days. If it does not resolve or worsen then an MRI may be performed to find out the exact cause.

Meanwhile some medicines may be given to improve control of urine.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,