Had spinal cord injury, got operated but lower part is paralysed. Chances of recovery?

Nov 2013

One of my friend I offered from spinal injury. Got operated in forts hospital.lower part is paralised from the day one. Is there any chances of recovery.if yes, what are the method an which hospital. Please suggest.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy is the best option

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your friend suffered from good and vigorous physiotherapy. There are several good centers available in the country for the same. One of the best is located at CMC Vellore near Chennai. They have excellent facilities for physiotherapy and rehabilitation of spinal cord injury patients. Treatment includes regular exercises, prevention of bed sores, and treatment of any infections such as urinary tract infections, etc.

Stem cell treatment is being experimented in cases of spinal cord injury. It should be understood that stem cell therapy is still in trial phase and not approved by FDA in spinal cord injury.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Had spinal cord injury, got operated but lower part is paralysed. Chances of recovery? 4 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX Many Many thanks for ur timely response.can you refer any best stem cell treatment hospitals in any part of the world .her family members are ready to spend any extent if the medication is positive.
pls advice.
Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stem cell treatment is in experimental phase

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

As I mentioned earlier, the stem cell treatment is promising, however, the benefit is not proven. A number of hospitals across the world are involved in stem cell treatment research in spinal cord injury clinical trial" you will get various results. The family can choose one of them and get enrolled in the trial.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM