Had soreness in foot without pain but now has tingling sensation. Underlying cause?

About 4 days ago my left ankle all the way to my big toe got sore. I thought it was just a sore tendon or something because there was no pain, even when I walk on it. I can feel the soreness when I rotate my foot around and up and down. A couple day ago my foot and lower leg started tingling, so much so that I can't sleep. No numbness, just a tingling sensation. The tingling has been non stop for a couple of days, no matter what position I put my foot and leg in.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a physician

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

There are several considerations in your case. There are a few different possibilities that might explain your symptoms. First if you have some pain or soreness in the area of your foot and ankle this might lead to inflammation and possibly some fluid under the skin. This fluid can place pressure on the tiny nerves in that area which can contribute to tingling and numbness.

I would recommend that you try couple of different treatments. I would try to elevate your leg as much as possible for the next few days. In addition I would recommend that you try taking some ibuprofen 400 or 600 mg every eight hours for the next 5 to 7 days. If this does not significantly improve your symptoms I think you should discuss this with your primary care provider and seek a good physical examination and consultation in person for further considerations.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga