Had sore throat, cold and advised to take azithromycin. No improvement. White patches back of throat due to new antibiotic. Side effect?

Okay, so I have had a sore throat/cold for almost three weeks. Last week I went to the doctor and they gave me azithromycin which I finished my dose of yesterday with no improvement. I went in yesterday and they gave me another antibiotic after i tested negative for mono. Since I haven't improved, I am thinking about going in tomorrow to ask for a throat culture to see if it is fungal. There are white patches in the back of my throat and it is very painful to swallow. Is going in a good idea, and what do I do since I already took the first pill of the new antibiotic and it is a 10 day dose? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes I think you should go .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that although white patches on tonsils can occur in acute follicular tonsillitis also but the probability of having fungal infection is much more as you didint respond to azithromycin which is a fairly good drug , higly effective in such conditions .

So. it is definitely an indication for culture . Dont worry you continue with your prescribed antibiotic as it will cover the antibacterial role in case it is not fungal but get your cultures done also because if it comes postive for fungal then antifungals need to be given . You should talk to your treating doctor regarding this and discuss with him as he has seen you so he remains the best judge for the situation in my opinion.

Dr. Shruti