Had sore throat and spasms after oral sex. Used numbing spray earlier. Throat culture positive for strep. Due to oral sex?

Dec 2012

Hi! I had oral sex on my husband a week ago Wednesday allowing him to ejaculate in my mouth. It was in the morning and afterward my throat was really sore all day and I even experienced a couple spasms throughout the day. This is the first time I did this to the point of him having full orgasm. I thought it was perhaps the numbing spray I put in my throat or the flavored edible massage oil. Throughout the week I did it 3 more times (one other time where I swallowed). A few days ago my throat began to hurt more and yesterday was unbearable so I went to have a throat culture which tested positive for strep. My husband says he does not have a sore throat and will not get a throat culture. Could my strep have been caused by oral sex?
I have facial paralysis so we do not kiss passionately where I could transmit the strep throat. But I am concerned if he should get a throat culture for strep throat even if his throat is not currently sore?
This incidence of strep throat really baffles me as even though I have a cancer and brain tumor/surgery history, I have a stunning immune system and bounce back amazingly fast. Typically when I get sick I can shake it within a couple to a few days. My husband however has a poor immune system and when he gets sick it usually lasts for weeks. He has allergies and asthma.
Further, I do not work and am not around people very much at all. Over the last week the only times I was around people is when I went to the gym 3 times and went grocery shopping. But my husband sees people EVERYDAY and had just come back from a conference with 5000 attendees. I started to get the sore throat the next day after he got back (he had arrived home late at night).
So my concern is that he actually may have the strep or be carrying it with oddly little symptoms. At the conference his body was SEVERELY taxed with lack of sleep (It was one of those XXXXXXX Robbins things where they are constantly going and walk on hot coals in the middle of the night).
As for me, I am training for a marathon and run twice a week (8 miles on a Monday and 18-20 miles on a Friday) but have a really good balance for myself with rest and recovery regime. Today I had to cancel my long distance run.
Thanks so much for your assistance. This is just a shocking occurrence which I want to get to the bottom of as it is really out of the norm for me and I am wondering if oral sex contributed to it and if my partner could be carrying strep which can reinfect me later.
I meant to say that I have HAD a cancer (20 years ago). I currently do not have cancer or a compromised immune system.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to help you.

First I will like to think that you might be overreacting to the situation. Strep throat basically has no particularities in when or whom it has to infect. It mostly affects children but can still affect adults. The fact that your husband is not suffering from the strep throat does not mean he is not carrying the germs. Streptococcus is a very common bacteria (as it leaves even on our skin) and if taken orally can affect your throat. Your saliva normally contains enzymes that have antibacterial property and you probably where unfortunate while you were performing oral sex to have taken the germs from your husband's penis (which does not mean he will definitely be having a problem or ill health as regarding that). Your salivary enzymes probably did not act in time to destroy the bacteria and you then developed the strep throat.
Just take a course of antibiotics. Your husband would not require any.
Just make sure in the future, you get your husband's penis cleaned up with antiseptic soap or gel before performing the oral sex.
Just stay calm and do not make this a great deal as it is just strep throat.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah