Had sore throat. Took azithromycin. Suffer dry cough and voice breaks. Taking Levofloxacin. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi ,
my problem is i had sore throat one month back for which i took azithromycin tablet 500 mgs once a day for 3 days,but it dint cure me and from last month im having dry cough and my voice breaks when i try to speak loud.also there is tenderness on pressing the neck over windpipe.i have also done a course of levofloxacin 500 mg once a day for 5 days bt no relief.im really worried.the cough is dry..
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat examination and a videolaryngoscopy done to rule out other problems such as acid reflux, a post nasal drip, allergy or a post viral syndrome.

2. If you had a sore throat a month back with no fever and you still have a dry cough and a hoarse voice, it may not have been an infection (or it may have been a viral infection), but it may have been one of the above causes.

3. This may be one of the reasons that the antibiotics are infective. request your doctor to start an anti-allergic decongestant, mucolytic , anti-reflux medication, antacids, dry cough syrup and medicated gargles as per the findings of the above mentioned examination.

4. In particular, the tenderness over the wind pipe is suggestive of an acid reflux. However multiple conditions may co-exist. If the dry cough does not respond, a blood test (AEC: Absolute Eosinophil Count), a Sinus and Chest X-ray and review of any other medication, if any, (such as Blood Pressure control pills) and so on may be required.

5. If you can share the images or video of your throat examination, along with the results of your tests, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment. Meanwhile avoid exposure to tobacco and alcohol, if any and keep your diet under control.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had sore throat. Took azithromycin. Suffer dry cough and voice breaks. Taking Levofloxacin. Remedy? 10 hours later
hello dr,
thanks for the reply.last week i consulted an ent specialist and he examined my throat and larynx.he said examination wise everything is fine and he further said that my problem is related to some allergy and im suffering from tracheitis.he started tab monteleukast 10 mg once a day and today wen i consulted him he has added a steroid inhaler also.should i start steroid inhaler.its being 1 week i have been taking montair tab but no relief is there.any further test recommended for me.thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is good to hear that the throat and larynx is normal. This will make the recovery easier.

2. Montelukast is an anti-leukotriene drug and helps reduce allergy at a different area of the allergy pathway. However it will be better to take an anti-histamine along with montelukast.

3. Steroids also help reduce allergy by blocking the allergy pathway at additional different points.

4. Using all three (The anti-histamine, montelukast and steroid) will have a synergistic effect which is greater than each used separately.

5. It will be best to review your progress after a week or two of this therapy.

Regards.