Had sore throat. Getting non itchy, non painful bumps on neck. Taking zithromax and augmentin. Now?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I have had a sore throat, deep and on the left side, for months now. I also have numerous small, non itchy, non painful bumps on the left side of my neck. What could possibly be going on. I've been tested for allergies recently and been on 2 different antibiotics (Zithromax and augmentin) with no relief.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 47 minutes later

thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding sore throat deep down in throat more on left side and you have also multiple small bumps on left side of neck, they are neither painful nor tender.

Considering your problems it appears you have chronic pharyngitis with cervical lymphadenitis.Since your irritation in throat is confined to left side only thus there may be some pathology going on left side of throat may be-

(a) Tonsillitis- one sided tonsillitis may be due to Tonsillar cyst / tonsillolith / growth in tonsil of left side.

(b) Pathology of base ot tongue left side.

(c) Ulcer or growth on left pyriform fossa.

(d) Ulcer or growth in nasopharynx left side.

To confirm the suspitions you should do-

(1) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses.

(2) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.

(3) FNAC from neck lumps.

(4) Direct laryngoscopy and biopsy if any ulcer or growth is detected.

Thus after a thorough examination and co-relation of inferences of investigations one can reach to correct diagnosis and thus accordingly treatment may be planed.