Had sonography and showed echogenic sludge in gall bladder. Having gas and stomach upsets. How to get rid of sludge?

Hi, my wife had a sonography recently and it said the she had echogenic sludge in gall bladder. Is this a cause to worry? How do we get rid of sludge? As of now she only has gases and stomach upsets .... nothing major.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GB sludge usually is asymptomatic in most patients

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). I appreciate your concern regarding your wife.

In most of the patients sludge in gall bladder is asymptomatic and it may persist for whole life without causing any harm. However if it cause symptoms like recurrent severe pain in abdomen right upper side known as billiary colic or pain in epigastric area suggestive of pancreatitis, then gall bladder has to be removed surgically. There is one tablet ursodeoxycholic acid which I found very useful in patients with sludge.

Overall what you have mentioned suggest that She is having dyspepsia due to acid peptic disease. For which give her some proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole along with some prokinetic agent like domperidone

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.