Had sonogram done of scrotal sac wherein microliths were detected. Beta HCG came normal. Need I worry?

Urologist
Question
I had an Sonogram done of scrotal sac wherein Microliths have been detected specially in left testicle >Doctor advised for AFP & Beta HCG test which came out normal ( AFP - !.96 & Beta HCG - Less than 2.36 ) Is it worry some .....what should i do ????
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Microliths in the testis are commonly associated with testicular cancer. However, presence of microliths on the ultrasound does not indicate that you have testicular cancer nor does it increase your chances of having testicular cancer at a later date.

In addition, you have normal tumor markers. Hence, stay doubly reassured and stop worrying.

Follow-up: Had sonogram done of scrotal sac wherein microliths were detected. Beta HCG came normal. Need I worry? 1 hour later
what precautions i need to take that it does not happen

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later
Dear,

No precautions are needed. However to be safe, it is advised that every male should examine his testes by himself and if he sees an abnormality then he should see urologist at the earliest.

Pls also advise that what to do if i have a dull ache in left testicle sometimes ....i have mild bilateral hydro coel as well and further is it necessary that microliths will convert to cancer

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 22 hours later
Dear,

You don’t need to do anything for mild hydrocele. However, if pain becomes intolerable then you should get yourself operated for hydrocele.

As I have already mentioned that microliths don't increase the rate of occurrence of cancer and microliths don't get converted into cancer. Hence, stay reassured.