Had some strokes, prescribed plavix. Told to have hole in heart and has thalessemia. Can plavix cause bleeding?

My husband has had some small strokes over the last ten years. Just this past week, he had another one, and they have prescribed Plavix. The cardiologist says he has a hole in his heart, and he also has thalassemia. Couldn't Plavix cause severe bleeding in someone who has thalassemia?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Low molecular weight heparin like plavix can be used with no risks of bleeding in patients with thalassemia.

It is used with caution in patients with bleeding tendancy such as vitamin K deficiency, thrombocytopenia and liver disease. It has NO interaction with thalassemia disease and vice versa.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.