Had some bruises on thighs and feet. Blood work came normal. Chances of having leukaemia?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015
Excellent

Question
Hello. I am a 38 year old female. I just had an annual bloodwork done a few weeks ago, CBC and the other tests for kidney function, etc.
I notice I had some bruises on my thighs, and a few times on my feet after wearing tennis shoes for an extended period.
My question is, since I just had blood work done, and it was all normal, should I be worried about leukemia? I have no other symptoms.
Thank you so much!
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Please do not get worried with the possibilities of having Leukemia, it comes with a whole lot of other signs & symptoms.

You have mentioned in your post that your blood investigation reports are normal and there are no other symptoms.
Presence of some bruises on thighs and feet after wearing tennis shoes for an extended period is a normal finding & can be attributed to minor trauma during daily activities or playing tennis.

However, to rule out any abnormality in bleeding time & clotting time, you can get the investigations like platelet count, estimation of bleeding time & clotting time done (if not done already during your annual blood work)

Wishing you a good health.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Had some bruises on thighs and feet. Blood work came normal. Chances of having leukaemia? 7 hours later
I had a cbc, complete blood count panel done which I know covered platelet count, which was normal. I'm not sure about estimation of bleed and clot time. Is this normally covered by a complete blood count? Is it true that if I had cancer, or a blood cancer like leukemia that my blood work would show some sighs? Since mine was all in normal range, and the test was just 3 weeks ago, should I stop worrying about cancer?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. Presence of normal platelet count indicate that the clotting mechanism is functioning normally.
However, if you feel that bruising is occurring even on minor trauma or persisting for a longer time, then estimation of bleeding & clotting time can be done.
It is usually not covered by a complete blood count & needs to be done separately.

2. You are absolutely right.
In case of leukemia, there will be abnormal increase in number of the white blood cell counts.
Moreover, the blood picture will also show abnormal & immature cells which are characteristic of Leukemia.

3. Since all the parameters in your investigations are in normal range, you have done the tests recently & you do not have any symptoms, there is no need to worry about cancer.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.
Please let me know if you have any further query.