Had some bright, red blood in stool. What could be the cause?

There was some bright, red blood in my stool this morning.... and lately i'd thought that i'd had rather healthy bowel movements. Do i need to be alarmed? What sorts of things can cause this?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 57 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is not unusual to have piles/haemorrhoids even with normal bowel movements. Probably the piles have bled which can cause passage of a few drops of fresh blood following defaecation. It is advisable to get yourself examined to confirm the diagnosis. If it is Grade I piles then the course of action would be:
1. Sitz bath.
2. Stool softners so that you do not pass hard stools.
3. Local application of ointment.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back if you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Had some bright, red blood in stool. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
I forgot to mention that i have no discomfort whatsoever~ i have no health insurance at this time, so seeing a physician is not simply~ possibly for me... but i could visit a clinic if need be. What are "piles" and why would i need any of the things you recommended if i have no accompanying discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later

Thank you for your update.

Piles are prominent blood vessels in the anal canal and usually bleed. They are observed by examination of the anal canal. Bleeding from piles is the most common problem and there can be other serious causes too. Hence my advice was for a clinical examination.

I suggested the things as a management for piles.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

Wishing you all the best.