Had smelly lump on underarm, recently painful. What might it be and what should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a lump on my underarm for years and it give out this smell now recently it started to hurt do u know what might it be and what should i do
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

I have seen the photograph attached.

The swelling in your axilla seems to be a swollen lymph node. Now that the lump is paining and giving out a foul smell, it is indicative of an underlying infection.

The root cause of infection needs to be detected after examination and needs to be treated with systemic antibiotics. If there is a collection of pus in the swollen node then surgical drainage might be needed.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph node and lab investigations like fine needle aspiration cytology are must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

Meanwhile taking a mild pain killer and doing a hot fomentation will provide temporary relief.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.