Had small movable lump in breast. Test confirmed to be fibrocystic breast. Was painful and tender. Suggest?

Hi, last month i had this small movable lump in my left breast and I've went to see my GP regarding the condition. My GP did a breast examination for me and said that this lump is not of any concern unless it grows bigger in future. However, she commented that my left breast is more "lumpy" than my right and that she calls it a fibrocystic breast and that theres no treatment to it.
This month approximately 2 weeks before my period is due, my left breast was feeling much more painful and tender than my right even though I do feel some pain on my right but it was much more bearable as compared to my left. May I know if this is normal and what are the things I can do to ease the pain. I've tried to do self breast examination and found no prominent lump except those rope/rice liked feeling on my left which was painful when i kept pressing onto it.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibromyalgia and fibrocystic disease

Detailed Answer:

Most women do have 'lumpy' breasts and its basically due to the fatty tissue that makes up most of the breast tissue. In your case, the small movable lump that your doctor found,is possibly a fibroadenoma. Its just a knot of adipose tissue or fatty tissue. Usually its harmless unless of course, it grows in size and causes pain.In which case surgery is an option.

Fibrocystic disease is also common in women. It occurs due to lumps of fatty tissue and pockets of fluid in the breast. Also harmless but needs to be followed up. The pain that you are feeling weeks before the period, it cyclic pain occurring due to hormonal flare ups. Its normal and can be managed by medication.

Try hot fomentation several times a day.
Vitamin E capsules will help . Primrose oil will also help with cyclic pain. Its available in the market under various brand names.

Follow-up: Had small movable lump in breast. Test confirmed to be fibrocystic breast. Was painful and tender. Suggest? 9 hours later
Thanks for the detailed reply! Would like to ask if its normal for my left breast to feel much more painful than another? My right breast do hurt but the pain is much more bearable.
And also, my doctor said that my left breast is more fibrocystic than another.. Is it normal for the case to be like this?
Is it alright if i go follow up every 6 months instead of every 1 month if i dun have any prominent lumps except that small ropey rice liked feeling which my doc claim its normal.. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Monthly self breast exam

Detailed Answer:
Yes it's possible for one breast to be more fibrocystic than the other. Hence the pain may be more on the concerned side. If you can manage the pain then you can follow up 6 monthly. However you should do a self-breast exam monthly at home to note for lumps or increase in such. Use a tight brasserie or support as much as possible along with some of the options I have mentioned earlier.