Had small itchy rashes on hands. Rashes are gone but skin looks dry. Suggest?

I have developed very small rashes on my hands and they started itching. The rashes have gone, but the skin looks very dry. Wherever I scratched, there is a slight change in color also. What can I do ?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

I can understand your concern.

From the description you have provided, you seem to have had pompholyx, it is an eczema and consist of tiny fluid filled blisters within the skin. They heal with dryness and exfoliation of skin. However, it's difficult to say for sure without actually seeing the rash.

I understand that you are having dryness of the skin after the rash. For the dryness of skin it would be best to apply a moisturizing cream to take care of the dryness.

For the change of colour and to actually understand what type of rash caused it, the type of change in color it left behind, it would be best to see pictures of the rash and the change in color.

In dermatology, its important to see the lesions and then give an opinion regarding it. Hence I would like to request you to send a picture.

Follow-up: Had small itchy rashes on hands. Rashes are gone but skin looks dry. Suggest? 27 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. From what you mentioned, it should be pompholyx. I remember seeing very tiny fluid filled blisters in the begining. I have been applying moisturiser for a week now. Would you recommend any ointment ?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 8 hours later

Thanks for the pictures. They were very helpful.

From the pictures it seems that the color change is due to polymorphic light eruption which is due to allergy to sunlight.

It's a reversible condition and can be easily treated with application of cortisone cream.

In order to prevent future recurrences, application of a sunscreen would be helpful.

You could continue with a moisturizing cream for the dryness.

Hope I have answered all your queries.