Ask a Dentist   »  

Had small enamel damage in top teeth. Having sensitivity. Used sensodyne. Suggest

Hi since more than 10 years. I had a small enamel damage on front 2 top teeth.Nothing mych was happening, but seems like they were more sensitive last year due to drinking acidic drinks. I started to use sensodyne toothpaste Pronamel. Then after appoitment with hygenist and some cleaninig of teeth I seem to feel a liitle tingle on top and bottom. Have been advicese Colgate Duraphat 2800 ppm Fluroride toothpaste, every other day. I have tried elmex for strengtens and re hardens enamel. I am sure I went to far. I also cut on time to clean my teeth and stick to twice a day.I used one children toothpaste as well, shouldn't as it was fruity. The efect is is worse...enamel seems to wear off on 4 teeth, to start with I just had a liithe points at the top and they weren't getting any bigger. I am afraid that this strong duraphat, elmex and my obssesion with the problem cause a bigger damage. Teeth went seems to lose their white colour and I have many concern.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 36 minutes later
Hello there,

Welcome to the Forum,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect and suppose that you are having a surface wear of enamel on four of your teeth, this can be due to various reasons few are; low fluoride contents, faulty tooth brushing habit, improper mastication, bruxism.
A thorough examination by the Dentist is required to rule out the above cause and treat accordingly.
Tooth coloured restoration, full ceramic crown, veneers, laminates depending upon the condition of the teeth, can be placed on the affected tooth to reduce the sensitivity caused.
You can continue with the use of Desensitizing toothpaste.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.
Let me know if I missed any concern from you.

Take care!
Dr Qazi.