Had small cuts on base of penis and scrotum after shaving pubic hair and had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV?

Dermatologist
Question
I had small cuts on base of penis and scrotum after shaving my pubic hair. Shortly after I had a protected sex. Since the cuts are not covered by condom, could I be infected with HIV?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

HIV needs actual fluid exchange for its transmission.
As you had protected intercourse ,there is very less or minimal risk .
Also I would like to know-
Was there any vaginal fluid in contact of base of your penis?
Was there any visible blood /discharge on the base of penis?
Did you had any wash/bath after sex?

Answer the questions and we can carry forward the discussion.
I will be available for follow up.

As such I do not seen anything to be worried about.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology, STD, HIV

Follow-up: Had small cuts on base of penis and scrotum after shaving pubic hair and had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV? 3 hours later
A: there's fluid but I'm not sure whether it was vaginal fluid or my pre-cum fluid, as I changed the condom before ejaculation.

A: Yes, there's fluid which I felt with my hand.

Did you had any wash/bath after sex?
A: No

FYI, I had done HIV blood test 9 days after the exposure and it turn out negative. I know it's not conclusive and I will do it again when it is 3-month exposure.
It's been 39 days now, and I just got fever and diarrhoea, which make me even worrier with my health condition.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Hi again,
As per your answers it does not appear that you are at risk.
As the condom was intact there is very little or no risk.
You can go for HIV RNA PCR test for confirmation of your negative status.
It is reliable test to do at this stage.
Fever and diarrhea would not be manifestation of HIV in such early phase.
Do not worry and go for the testing to confirm your negative status,
DrSudarshan

Hello Doctor,
My next questions:

1. I read in articles that HIV test should be done after 3-month exposure. Should I wait or do it now to get a confirmed result?
2. I read that the fever and diarrhoea happen between 2-4 weeks after exposure. Can you please explain on this?
3. How long would the diarrhoea and fever normally last? Mine was 1 day for diarrhoea and 2 days for fever after taking medications. No sore throat. No rash but some acne on my back.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later
Hi again,

To answer your queries.
1.Ideal time for HIV testing is 3 months.If you want to test earlier then you can test by PCR test and results are dependable.
2.Usually 3-4 weeks after exposure there is seroconversion illness of HIV ,characterised by fever , skin rash, myalgia, sore throat,swollen lymph nodes etc.
It marks the onset of change in HIV negative to positive state.As you dont have most of the things and duration is also more.Your symptoms are unlikely of HIV.
3.Fever usually lasts for 5-7 days with or without treatment.Diarrhea is usually shorter duration like 3-5 days.

If you are anxious about HIV ,you can go for PCR test at this time period and confirm your HIV status or you can wait for 3 months and go for ELISA test.

Hope this answers your query.
Regards.