Had sinus infection. Have Gerd issues and chest pain. Feel fatigue. Chances of lung cancer?

Hi, I recently have had a sinus infection, have some wheezing that I can hear, but doctor said lungs were clear. I used to smoke for many years. I am also in perimenopause as well. As you can tell, I have severe Gerd issues by the medications listed. I have had a recent nuculear stress test, a chest x XXXXXXX 5 months ago as well. All clear. I have a little cough, mainly sinus drainage . I do have some chest pain and burning. My main problem is extreme fatigue. I mean extreme. Recently my best friend was diagnosed with stage two lung cancer and I am pretty stressed out about it . I keep reading and reading and fatigue is a symptom of lung cancer. I had a cbc done last week and it was normal. The chest pain is center of the chest and is not constant. I not sure if the fatigue is hormones, or due from the sinus infection, or perhaps some anxiety thrown in . Why would the doctor not hear lung congestion and I do. I am not short of breath. I walk several days a week. I do catch myself over breathing, like I can't take a full deep breath. Does this sound like lung cancer to you?????? Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No evidence of lung cancer at present

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your cough could be due to any of the following:
a. Due to sinus problem (associated with post nasal drip) - Upper airway cough syndroms (UACS)
b. COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease- smoking related)
C. GERD related
d. Smoker's cough

2. At present since your chest xray was normal , lung auscultation was also normal and also no metastatic symptoms are present, chances of lung cancer are less but your past history of smoking does place you at a higher risk of lung cancer as compared to the non smokers.

3. You need to visit a pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail to determine the tiology of cough. Investigations that may be required are: sputum examination, pft and/or hrct scan thorax.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist