Had sinus infection. Got pins and needles sensation in ear. Linked to sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
I had a sinus infection last November which I let run it's course naturally. Around the same time I experienced a crawling/pins and needles sensation in my left ear intermittently which can develop into a cold like sensation. Could this be linked to the Sinus infection I had at all? or is it unlikely? I also have constant bilateral tinnitus since early last year which I have not had investigated, could it be linked to that? Many Thanks for your time.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided I would say this itching in ear may be more may not be related to the sinus infection. It could be Eustachain tube block or secretory otitis media secondary to sinus infection (related with sinus infection) or allergic otis externa (dosease of outer ear - not related with sinus infection)

Tinnitus in both ear may also be because of sinus einfection acuring secretory otitis media. However it may be because of disease of inner ear too.

I would advise you for a ENT consultation, tympanometry, audiometry and a sinus X XXXXXXX for the diagnosis. Tinnitus needs to be worked up as it may be because of a variety of causes

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more informatioin about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma