Had sigmoid colon resection and now having rectal pain with episodes of mucus. Underlying cause?

General Surgeon
I had sigmoid colon resection and now have rectal pain with episodes of explosive mucus. What causes this and are there any solution?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

When was the resection done? What was the reason of it(a cancer? diverticles?)?

As you have had sigomoid colon resection and anastomosis (connection between two parts of the intestine), there is always a possibility of anastomosis narrowing. Due to anastomosis problem, the stool can not pass freely. It can cause constipation and diarrhea alternately. Mucus only (can be explosive) can also appear. If so, you should also suffer from bloating and abdominal pain.

If the reason of resection was the cancer and it was some time ago, cancer recurrence is possible. It would also cause symptoms mentioned by you including rectal pain.

Rectal pain can also appear due to fissure or hemorrhoids. It is possible if you do suffer from constipation.

If the surgery were done quite recently, strange stools, diarrhea and mucus can be present for some time (few months after the surgery). It is because some part of intestine is missing and the other parts needs to get use to it.

It is hard to give you more detailed answer and especially any solution not knowing much about your symptoms and the surgery.

The best way is to visit your surgeon, have physical examination, rectal examination and in case of any doubts colonoscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had sigmoid colon resection and now having rectal pain with episodes of mucus. Underlying cause? 5 hours later
My colon resection was due to recurring divericulitis. It was done nearly seven weeks ago. The rectal pressure can wake me up at night. Surgeon did rectal exam, it was normal. Pain and discomfort is overwhelming at times. Do I need more follow-up work?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Than connection between two intestines area should be verified (anastomosis). It could get narrow during this two months.
Usually after 2 moths from the large intestine surgery, the patient can live like there was no surgery at all (stool problems like slight diarrhea can be present).
So in my opinion you should have it checked. Colonoscopy (or at least rectoscopy) should be done.

Hope this will help.