Had shoulder and neck injury. Feeling burning in back, arms and shoulders. MRI done. What does the report say?

Neurologist, Surgical
Because of dizziness when looking to the sides, and pain down arms, In 2003 i was 44 I had an mri of cervical spine that showed c5 and c6 as "mildly degenerative..cervical disc bulge with posterior osteophyte is noted which is assymetrical to the left. There is minimal efacement of the left side of the thecal sac noted. The abnormality does not extend into the left c6 foramen. NOr foraminal or central canal stenosis noted at c5-c6. Then last month, at age 54 I had a shoulder and neck injury. I woke up spinning, and my back and arms felt completely "dead XXXXXXX As I moved the dizziness stopped, but I felt burning in upper back, arms and shoulders. I couldn't lay down at all without this happening. I've slept upright in a chair since the accident July 4th.

MRI of cervical spine last week showed these results: Mild degenerative disease at C5-6. Mild right foraminal stenosis at C5-6 due to uncoarthrosis. I can not use my arms at all without feeling like I'm blacking out. I can't turn my head to the right or look up or down without feeling like I'm blacking out. I can't lift anything. I can't swing my arms, or lift them without feeling like I'm blacking out, or getting a falling sensation. Inner ear test have been performed, and are negative, but I can't see a neurosurgeon until november. Could this above MRI result of last week, indicate a change, and possible explanation of my symptoms?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 10 hours later

Your MRI cervical spine definitely shows progressive degenerative changes, but all your symptoms can not be correlated to cervical spine pathology. It can be partly contributing factor, but not all the symptoms are due to the cervical spine abnormality.

There could be possibility of musculoskeletal injury of paraspinal and shoulder muscles. You need to be thoroughly examined clinically to come to a conclusion. Further necessary investigations can be ordered after clinical examination like dynamic x-ray of cervical spine to check the instability, Carotid-vertebral Doppler (CV Doppler) to check the pattern of blood supply to brain and radiological investigation of shoulder and back muscles to rule out injury.

Please get yourself examined as early as possible. Discuss with your current doctor if you can be able to get an appointment earlier. Till then, you can try local physiotherapy and analgesic for pain relief.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.