Had shortness of breath. Advised to take xanax. X-ray came normal. Due to any viral infection?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had shortness of breath Monday. Went to doctor Tuesday and had fever 99.2 and bp of 142/92. I was prescribed Xanax and diagnosed with anxiety. I saw my cardiologist and he said I was fine, and had a chest X-ray today which was fine. Today I've been feeling flushed, achy and lightheaded with no fever and normal bp. Is this viral?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query. I would agree with your physician that you indeed seem to have significant anxiety symptoms. X-ray is fine ruling out any significant respiratory pathology. I would suggest clonazepam instead of alprax/alprazolam for your anxiety symptoms. It is unlikely to be viral considering no typical symptoms of viral fever. Hence, please wait a couple of days so that a clear pattern of symptoms emerge. For time being you can continue either xanax/ clonazepam as i had mentioned. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Had shortness of breath. Advised to take xanax. X-ray came normal. Due to any viral infection? 10 hours later
This morning I'm having shortness of breath again and I'm under no stress. Can this happen with an anxiety disorder that even when not anxious/stressed you have the symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 50 minutes later
Hello....
Yes it is absolutely possible that your anxiety symptoms/disorder is not related to any stress and is independent. Hence, i would advise you to wait and watch next few days continuing medication as i had suggested.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Had shortness of breath. Advised to take xanax. X-ray came normal. Due to any viral infection? 6 hours later
Can this be related to something other than anxiety such as thyroid or lung infection? I find it hard to believe I have an anxiety condition all of a sudden.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 8 hours later
Hello.....
There are a few diseases that produce anxiety symptoms mimicking an anxiety disorder. That includes thyroid disorders and adrenal gland pathology (that is rare). Hence, thyroid function tests can be carried out. Lung infection is not likely considering chest x-ray i.e normal. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar