Had short cycles of periods. Noticed light spotting. Had dizzy spell and cramps. Pregnancy test negative. Am I pregnant?

May 2013
I had a very short cycle last month, only 24 days, I usually have a 28 to 30 day cycle. I had some light pink spotting on day 21 and day 22 with a few streaks of thicker blood. Two days after that I threw up randomly in the morning and then again the following night and again today. Last night I had a dizzy spell and had to lie down. I am on day 27 now and have been having slight cramps. I know that morning sickness only sets in after about two weeks, so I'm a bit confused. I did a pregnancy test yesterday but it came up negative. Is it possible that I am pregnant or could it be something else?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood test for pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
According to your description the possibility of pregnancy is there.
- The spotting you mentioned could be implantation bleeding.
-Some women may start to have symptoms of pregnancy early.
-Urine pregnancy test kit may not detect early pregnancy sometimes.
But just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy.
Because these type of symptoms can be seen in premenstrual phase, due to hormonal imbalance etc.
So better to go for blood test for pregnancy to get accurate result on the date of your expected periods, means on around 30th day of the cycle.
If the test comes negative, the possibility of pregnancy is very less.
The symptoms you had could be due to hormonal imbalance and possibly subside soon. If test comes positive, consult gynecologist once and go for further treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Follow-up: Had short cycles of periods. Noticed light spotting. Had dizzy spell and cramps. Pregnancy test negative. Am I pregnant? 2 hours later
Is it possible that this is all caused by stress?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility is there

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the possibility is there.
Stress can alter the hormonal levels by affecting the balance of hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis.
This can lead to changes in menstrual cycles, amount of flow etc.
Stress can also cause symptoms like nausea etc.
But better to rule out the pregnancy by blood test.