Had shiny skin outside vagina, was a friction burn. What else it could be?

I went for a ten mile run and while in the shower felt a stingy sensation looked and there was a small shiny piece of skin on the outside of my vagina. It healed by the next day so i am pretty sure it was a friction burn but I have never had one in that area and a bit concerned. How do I know it's not something else. I had no symptoms before or after but was sexually active about 5 weeks before this.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
thanks for the query.

Ten miles is a considerable distance for friction burns. Friction burns occur when skin is pulled across an abrasive surface there by removing layers of the skin. The abrasive surface could be the skin still as in the groin area or cloth etc
Friction burns vary in intensities with the mildest burns only appearing as slightly red and abraded area, while more severe burns may abrade away all levels of skin and may be very deep.
Minor friction burns generally do not need the individual to see a doctor and generally heal in the space of no time and such injuries can be easily manage properly by washing the area thoroughly with clean water and mild, antibacterial soap, and covering the wound with a clean bandage and antibacterial cream. In case of suppuration ( infection of the wound) a consultation should be done.

What you described appears to be a friction burn because the first time you felt it was after your run and it is on a location which is a common area for friction burns especially when tight fitting cloth are put on.

Another possibility could be a syphilitic chancre but it does pain and so rules it out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, lease do not hesitate.
Best regards