Had shingles around eye and head. Why do I have a white spot on upper eyelid? What can be done?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi, I had shingles around the eye and head in March this year. I feel fine now but still have a white spot on my upper eyelid which won't go away. What should I do about this?

Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 8 hours later

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Hypopigmented spots (white spots) can occur following shingles. From your query I understand that you had shingles around the eyes 3 months ago. If the spot is small, they usually fade away. It may take 12 - 18 months for some spots to fade away. So be patient.

However if you wish to rectify this early, you should consult your dermatologist. A few procedures such as Excimer Laser can be performed. But if I was in your shoes, I would choose to wait and watch.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify, if you have any other questions.