Had shaved the public area, had protected sex with condoms, vaginal fluid at the base of penis. Am I safe ?

Question
I live in New York City and foolishly went to an Asian Massage Parlor. At the end of the massage, she asked me what I wanted. Being so aroused and not thinking rationally, I foolishly said I wanted intercourse. She proceeded to put a condom on and we had protected sex. Upon completion, I went to take the condom off, which was still in tact, however i noticed that there was a lot of vaginal fluid and lube at the base of my penis where the condom wasn't fully covering. I immediately became worried because I had shaved my pubic area and part of my penis earlier that morning (12 hours between shaving and intercourse). I didn't see any open cuts but I am very worried that the combination of shaving 12 hours earlier and her fluids touching my exposed skin has left me susceptible for HIV infection. This experience took place 2 1/2 days ago (approx 63 hours ago) and now I feel as though i have a sore throat and minor cold. I am so unbelievably worried and disappointed in myself. My fear is that there may have been minor nicks or cuts that weren't visible to the eye that could have been exposed. How long after shaving would the skin begin to "repair" itself and close any cuts or wounds? Please help!! Any information or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know it needs to be started within 72 hours, but do you feel I should start HIV prophylaxis? I know its a very aggressive treatment which could leave me quite ill while taking the medications, but is it something I should consider, or am I being overly cautious? Thanks again for your time and effort
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
After shaving your skin, if there were no visible cuts or any bleeding then there is nothing to be worried about. After shaving, the mild rawness in the area improves over next 5-6 hours.
The exposure you had is a very low risk exposure and the chances of HIV transmission even if the female was heavily infected with HIV are almost negligible. There is no need for any post exposure prophylaxis right now.
The mild symptoms you are having are suggestive of a minor viral infection and are not at all suggestive of an HIV infection.
Let me reassure you that I can almost guarantee that you are HIV negative.

Along the same lines however I still do recommend that you obtain a screening blood test for the HIV virus. This will be the ultimate reassurance that you are really HIV negative. This test is usually routinely available at most pharmacies health departments and so forth.

Once again, I want to reassure you that it is highly unlikely that you have contracted the HIV virus. I do recommend that in the future you take precautions if you are in a situation where you feel you might be at increased risk.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.