Had sharp pain in groin extending to leg and caused bruising on legs. What is it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had sharp pain in my groin which persisted. Gradually the pain extended down the inside of my leg. Then I noticed my leg was black and blue from the groin down and when it reached my knee there was a huge dark area surrounded by lesser coloring. Gradually the bruising subsided above the knee, but bruising then appeared below the knee. The pain has subsided somewhat, but still continues. If I move my leg in the wrong way, it hurts. This pain started and the bruising continued 14 days ago. I did not seek medical attention. Was this probably a blood clot? What should I do now?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collectio Detailed Answer: Hi, Possibility of blood clot is high. As per your symptoms it can be either soft tissue or vascular injuries. The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma. Unless the large hematoma is compressing a nerve or you can do cold fomentation. If not resolved in 7 days you can do further investigation. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Colour Doppler study will help to know any vascular abnormality. Take precaution to avoid infection around hematoma. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.