Had sexual trauma and received stitches for lacerations of vaginal area. Noticed bleeding and pain. What can be done?

hi - I've recently had sexual trauma and received stitches for lacerations of the vaginal area. i had to visit er again the following day seeing that bleeding still occurs that led to more stitches. i woke up this morning and yet again there is bleeding and i have some kind of "stabbing" pain that comes and goes down that area. Question i have is that - might it be something more that is bleeding something else that might be wrong except the parts of the stitches and what can the pain be? if i go back to the er what should i tell them to look at? Thank you
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 36 minutes later
If there is stabbing pain, bleeding along with swelling over stitch area there can be possibility of hematoma formation.
So in your next visit to ER you will pin point towards stitch line, if that part is ok no bleeding from stitch line & no swelling cause of stabbing is inflammatory reaction & will subside by taking anti-inflammatory medication.
During laceration there can be more than one source of bleeding so get properly examined to rule out further source of bleeding.
I will be available for your further queries.
Follow-up: Had sexual trauma and received stitches for lacerations of vaginal area. Noticed bleeding and pain. What can be done? 31 minutes later
Thank you!

mmmm if it turns out to be the possibility of hematoma formation what will be the next step?
Can this be because of the initial stitches being applied or was it there from the start, that its just now more able to see it and feel it, - like I got stitches then bleeding stopped then next day it bled again and got more stitches and now today its bleeding AGAIN - SORRY I hope that make sense
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Welcome back.
Hematoma formation can be due to due to stitches being applied or it can be from starting.
But once it developed will be treated with incision & drainage.
Do not worry! First get examined to detect whether there is really hematoma formation or not.
If it is developed then can be treated with incision & drainage completely.
I hope your query has been answered.