Had sexual intercourse. Getting symptoms of HIV. What are the chances of getting affected?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I went for a massage center on April-5-2013, where it turned out sex like oral,intercourse and fingering on my back(by her).

While doing both condom was used, but once when i took my penis out in the middle,i could see the condom is half way out, but still the tip portion(fore skin) was covered.

May be i am thinking too much like whether my penis fore skin had contact with her bodily fluids.

There was no fluid exchange happened from my end rather than intercourse( i masturbated after taking out from her vagina)

i am really worried after that, reading the information in internet is really panicking me,
psychologically i am very much affected and may be because of that i am relating everything as symptoms of HIV from very light sore due to chilly,small itches -to- feeling hot while sleeping(i felt this before april-5th) due to AC-heater with out humidifier as night sweat.

I am going to get married in this month, i am really worried about her also and thinking of stopping the marriage.

Please advise me
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You need not worry at all. Condom protection is 99% safe. Condom rolled out while taking it out was quite common and there was no chance for your foreskin to touch the vaginal secretion unless it became torn.
Touching by finger over the removed condom was not a source of infection.
All your symptoms are not related to HIV.
Earliest possible manifestations like Flu like syndrome of HIV can occur only after 3-4 weeks after the risky exposure, if it is infectious.
So it is not due to HIV and you can confidently get married. If you have more doubts you can get cleared by going for a HIV test after 3 weeks ( There are tests available to test for HIV after 3-4 weeks).

Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had sexual intercourse. Getting symptoms of HIV. What are the chances of getting affected? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you so much for clearing me, i was really worried until i received your reply.Even the 'small sore in my mouth' or 'feeling difficulty while drinking water' or 'stomach discomfort' in 5 days was worrying me a lot.

Thanks for clearing Earliest possible manifestations like Flu like syndrome of HIV can occur only after 3-4 weeks after the risky exposure, if it is infectious.

I am confident for my marriage now.My marriage is on next week, at that will be my first and last mistake of my life.I felt like reborn after your reply.

Still like to do the test, It will be great if you can suggest me the best place to test for infection in 3-4 weeks in Bangalore.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later

Welcome back.
Sore mouth and stomach discomfort can occur to anybody. Nothing to worry and count your days ahead happily for your marriage.

In India many laboratories like, Ranbaxy (RAL), Reliance, Vimta, PATH, HITECH are doing the HIV DNA PCR test and they have collection center in every cities and bigger towns.
If you approach any big labs at Bangalore ( I am able to see a lot in net) they will have tie up with these above laboratories and get it done for you.
Wish you a good luck.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Had sexual intercourse. Getting symptoms of HIV. What are the chances of getting affected? 44 hours later
Hi Doctor,
I checked with SRL Diagnostic,Bangalore
they provided me with 2 types of test.
1,HIV MONITOR (Viral Load)
2,HIV-1 DNA DETECTOR, QUALITATIVE

It will be great if you can let me know which test is rapid enough to see the result in accurate.And i will be going there on April29, so its April-5 to 29. its 24 days, hope that window period is enough for above tests.

Thanks for spending time for replying doctor

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Welcome back.

You have to go for the 2nd type of test. That is HIV-1 DNA Detector,Qualitative test.

The other is not for you, but for whom already have a positive result and the HIV Monitor test to know how for the viral load is there inside the body to assess when to start the drugs or to know the response to drugs.

By 24 days the HIV DNA PCR will be more conclusive.

But I want to tell one more thing to you. These PCR tests in our country will detect only HIV-1 infection, not the HIV-2. The prevalence of HIV -2 in our country is just 0.28% among the total HIV positive cases. It is very unlikely. It can be detected only after 3 months with rapid tests which can differentiate both HIV-1&2 .
In your case The chances of HIV transmission itself is remote and moreover, HIV-2 is very much unlikely because it is less contagious and less infectious.
So you need not worry about the same.
Dr S XXXXXXX