Had sexual intercourse. Feeling fatigue, nausea, tired, abdominal pain, and some cramping. Should I go for a blood test to determine pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am about 6 weeks late for getting my period. My last menstrual period was Aug 23, 2013. I had sexual intercourse on Sept 9, 2013. I've had many symptoms of pregnancy, fatigue, nausea, tired, abdominal pain, and some cramping. I've taken multiple home pregnancy tests and all have came back negative. I'm wondering if my HCG levels are just not high enough for a pregnancy test to pick up on them or if its something else. Do I have my doctor order a blood test in order to find out if I am indeed pregnant.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hello
The home pregnancy tests are upto 97 % reliable in diagnosing a pregnancy.
Hence, you should have had a positive test if you were pregnant.
There could be various causes of a missed period - stress, anxiety, weight gain, change of climate or diet or sleeping patterns, even change of altitude at times, ingestion of medications that affect the hormonal axis etc.
Also, thyroid hormone alterations or polycystic ovaries can cause delayed cycles.
As you have had pregnancy symptoms, a blood pregnancy test can be taken to rule out pregnancy for sure, more so, as you have a history of delayed cycles, so delayed conception can result.
More advisable is to go for a pelvic ultrasound also alongwith a gynecological evaluation , that will clarify whether there is a pregnancy, and will reveal any other pathology responsible for delayed cycles if present.
Estimation of thyroid hormone, prolactin levels is also advisable.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.