Had sexual encounters, used condom. Concerned about herpes. Am I at high risk?

I had about 4 sexual encounters throughout the last two months and they were with escorts. I regret such behavior and working on never doing it again.

I don't practice any oral sex on women and I make sure to use a condom at all time. I am really concerned now about STDs and especially herpes as I heard it could spread through skin-to-skin contact.

I'd like to know if I'm at high risk ? Is herpes transmitted through kissing,cuddling, and touching without having any open sores or cuts in the skin ?

Please advise.

Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

I can understand the anxiety you are going through.

Just be relaxed. If you had used a condom properly and if it did not burst or got torn during intercourse, chances of acquiring an Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) is minimal.

Condom is an excellent barrier to STIs like HIV, Syphillis, Chancroid, Hepatitis B and C.

So I will say that you are certainly not at high risk.

Herpes can be transmitted without having open sores, but condom prevents this infection. However, you may still acquire non genital (labial) herpes through kissing. Again chances are very low if there are no open sores.
So relax,

Nevertheless, I would suggest you to get another STI test done including HIV elisa, VDRL, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C and get them repeated after 2 months or so, just to be 100% sure.

I hope I have answered your queries. Should you have any follow up queries, please feel free to post your queries; I will be glad to address them.
Do accept the answer if you do not have any further follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had sexual encounters, used condom. Concerned about herpes. Am I at high risk? 9 hours later
Thanks a lot for your answer.

I've been told by a doctor that I could use ACYCLOVIR within five days of exposure as a prophylaxis (my last exposure that I'm concerned about was Monday)
200mg five times/day or 400mg three times/day.

Do you think that is needed in my case ? I'll make sure to visit my doctor to get a prescription if needed.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 13 hours later

According to me, I do not see any reason for acyclovir prophylaxis.

It does not prevent infection. At the most it may prevent one episode. But the chances of that episode itself are too low. So I would not suggest taking acyclovir prophylaxis.

It is usually given to people who already have an established history of infection. It is given before a surgery or a procedure to prevent an episode.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If you do not have any further follow ups, please close this discussion.

Thanks and Regards