Had sexual encounter, tested negative for HIV. Should I be worried?

hello Doc.
I had a sexual encounter with a women 10 weeks back. i tested for hiv it was negative. should i be worried in future .are the test conclusive at 10 i require a test after 12 weeks?? i did a spot elisa test at 10 weeks with a medical professional. i am worried please help.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe to redo at 12 weeks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

HIV test can be negative upto 12 weeks as during the window period normal ELISA test is unable to detect the test.

I will advise you to redo the test after the 12 weeks of exposure,even if it was negative at 10 weeks, just to be 100% sure about the negative test.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Had sexual encounter, tested negative for HIV. Should I be worried? 20 minutes later
thanks you doctor.

today i did the test again now it is 11 weeks and two days. the results are negative. should i repeat the test again in 5 days. and the women i had the encounter is known to me past 3 years.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not needed

Detailed Answer:
I do not think you need to redo it in 5 days, 11 weeks 2 days are as good as 12 weeks.

If your test is negative, there is nothing to worry.
Follow-up: Had sexual encounter, tested negative for HIV. Should I be worried? 7 minutes later
thank you very much doctor.just one more question in general will the test detect antibody in 10 weeks. and how accurate is it.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very accurate

Detailed Answer:
Test done at 10 -12 weeks is very accurate as it takes away the problem of window period.
According to the book "Medical Management of HIV Infection" by Johns XXXXXXX physician XXXXXXX Bartlett, the EIA has a sensitivity of 99.3 to 99.7 percent.