Had sex without penetration. Took U-72. Ultrasound showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
me and my bf genital area touched for 10 second "without any ejaculation and intercourse". after that he ejaculated and he was wearing breif and i was wearing panty on 23 nov.but still i took U-72 on 24 nov within 24 hrs. and my previous periods were on 31 oct and i got my periods on 1 dec. but till now ,my periods haven't come yet.so i took a "HPT"on 7 XXXXXXX and it came "NEGATIVE"....after that i went to gynecologist....and she ordered a "PELVIC ULTRASOUND" AND "BETA HCG TEST"...i took ultrasound and it detected "BILATERAL PCOD"...and i also got "BETA HCG TEST REPORT AND MY HCG LEVEL WAS 0.6 XXXXXXX on 16 XXXXXXX ..after that i went another "ultrasound" on 19 XXXXXXX ...but it failed to detect anything...so gyne wrote me LH/FSH ,THYROID,PROGESTRONE TEST...and gave me "DEVIRY 10 MG" FOR 5 days...i completed the course today...but from two days i am having "STOMACH PAIN AND FELT LIKE VOMITING"..and there is bulge too near my belly..i am not having any other symptoms..
my question are:----
1>is there still any chance of pregnancy in my case?????
2>is there chance of tubular or ectopic pregnancy???
3>can pregnancy occur now...after more then 45 days??? and if yes,can it be detected in ultrasound???
4>what about the hcg level found in my blood..??? is it normal???
5>why i am having pain in my right side of abdomen??? and waist pain???
6>i also had a brown discharge 3 days back??? is that normal??
7>after the completion of course...after how much time my periods will start??
8>are those test written to me are associated with pregnancy???
9>i had my period after that incident...and lasted for 4-5 days ....what are the chances of pregnancy after having periods...???
10>can pcod cause delay in periods???
11>is there still a chance of having pregnancy after 2 ultrasound and a beta hcg test???

please help me ..i am worried....is there is no pregnancy...then why my periods are not coming??
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for your queries.
Let me answer them sequentially as you have asked :
1. As per your description, actual penetration of vagina with the penis did not occur. Further you took Emergency contraceptive pills in time. Thirdly, you had your normal periods on time AFTER the act. Fourth, your B HCG and pelvic ultrasound CLEARLY state that there is no pregnancy in your case, at present.

2. Your ultrasound and B HCG rule out an ectopic pregnancy also, at present.

3. Well, you have been diagnosed as a case of polycystic ovarian disease, in which, both menstruation and ovulation are highly irregular. In this disease, conception can occur at any time, as ovulation is erratic. However, if your last ( that too, non penetrative , I guess ) sexual encounter, was on 23rd November, then I can reliably say that by now the pregnancy would have shown up on the ultrasound definitely. In case there were any further encounters AFTER 23rd November, then because of irregular ovulation, the pregnancy might not yet show up.

4. The B HCG level found is absolutely normal.

5. There could be many causes for the pain described. It could be pre menstrual pain, as you might be about to have your periods. It could be because of some pelvic infection, mild gastroenteritis, urinary tract infection, constipation, inflamed appendix, endometriosis, uterine or ovarian tumours etc. The last two are ruled out as your ultrasound is normal, although endometriosis is not always seen on ultrasound, and for the rest, you need a whole abdomen ultrasound. For pelvic or urinary infections, your gynecologist would examine you and take appropriate tests.

6. The brown discharge is not normal. However, in polycystic ovarian disease, often there is scanty menstrual bleeding. I would like to know pattern of previous menstrual cycles - duration of flow, type of flow, cycle length etc.

7. Normally, after completion of Deviry course, your periods should start within 2 - 3 days, but sometimes it might take upto a week.

8. No, the tests are written in order to further investigate polycystic ovarian disease.

9. The chances of pregnancy after having the period are very remote, as I already mentioned.

10. Definitely, PCOD is a condition of hormonal imbalance, and can definitely lead to irregular , delayed and scanty periods.

11. The chances of your pregnancy, as I put it, are practically zero, if you have not been sexually active after the said incident.

The most probably reason for the irregular and delayed period is PCOD.
I think, after Deviry, you should have your period within a few days.
You need to be investigated thoroughly for PCOD too. I would add adrenal hormones, glucose tolerance test, fasting serum insulin, serum prolactin also to the list of tests mentioned.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Do not worry about a pregnancy, it seems least likely.
However, be particular about using regular protection in the future.

Follow-up: Had sex without penetration. Took U-72. Ultrasound showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. Worrisome 13 hours later
respected mam,

there is no encounter after 23 nov....

1>so ,now can i completely rule out my pregnancy of any type??/
2>do deviry 10 mg cause side effect like stomach pain...???
3>what is the most reliable way of detecting pregnancy??
4>my beta hcg test ...rules out pregnancy??/ or is there still a chance later???
5>is there any need of taking another hpt???
6>what are the chance of pregnancy can be there after 2 ultrasound and a blood test and hpt???
7>what about the bulge near my stomach????
8>after the incident ..i got my period...and missed my this one....is there still a chance???
9>what are the chance of pregnancy through genital touch???
10>can i later become pregnant...or i am safe now???
11>can blood test give false result too??? if yes,then what about my result???
12>its been more then 50 days to that incident....and i am not experiencing anything despite had beta hcg level=0.6....can i become pregnanct later???? or i am completely safe??

regards,

Hello again,

1. If there was no sexual activity henceforth, yes, you can completely rule out pregnancy of any type.
2. Progesterone sometimes does cause mild abdominal discomfort, but it could be pre menstrual pain also.
3. A blood HCG test alongwith pelvic ultrasound is the most reliable way of diagnosing a pregnancy,which is laready done
4. Your beta hcg test rules our pregnancy.
5. No need of another HPT
6. The chances are practically zero.
7. It is impossible to have a noticeable bulge overnight - you could be feeling slight fullness and discomfort. In case there you can feel an actual bulge that wasnt there earlier, please consult your gynecologist for that, to examine it. I can see no reason for a new bulge.
8. I repeat that there is no chance of pregnancy
9. The chances are also very remote, given that you had your underclothes on.
10. Well, if you have unprotected intercourse in future, you can become pregnant.As of now, you are safe.
11. The blood test rarely gives a false result. Yours seems reliable.
12. I think you are really going overboard with worry. I repeat again that you are completely safe as of now.
take care.

Follow-up: Had sex without penetration. Took U-72. Ultrasound showed bilateral polycystic ovaries. Worrisome 3 hours later
thankew mam...

there are some more queried like....

1>is there hcg level present in non pregnant women too..???
2>after how much time does pregnancy symptoms start to show off??
3>is pcod related with thyroid too??
4>can pcod cause obesity or weight gain....and dats y i am having weight near my stomach???
5> one ultrasound detected pcod and second nothing.....whom to rely on????
6>i am having mild pain in my right side of abdomen before the comencement of deviry ....is that due to pcod???
7>if my period doesnt start with deviry too...then what should i do???
8>are you sure ...i am safe with any kind of pregnancy????
9>and if there is no encounter after 23 nov....pregnancy wont develop at later stage??
10>i am going another ultrasound tomorrow....is there any chance of detection of pregnancy???
11>i heard hcg level double it self in 48 hrs in pregnancy....as mine was 0.6...can it double itself later...and pregnancy can be there later??? or i did the blood test at right time...so the result is accurate and there is no chance???

regards,

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Hi again,
1. As the first line of your B HCG report states, even males and non pregnant females do have some amount of hcg present.
2. Pregnancy symptoms like nausea, vomiting, breast changes etc bulging of lower abdomen, fetal movements all start at various periods in pregnancy. None of these are reliable, and the only reliable " symptom " of pregnancy is ultrasound evidence of pregnancy.
3. PCOD and thyroid disorders both are related, because both are commonly found together, and both cause irregular periods.
4. Obesity is one reason for causing PCOD, and PCOD in turn causes weight gain, so its a vicious cycle. Yes, abdominal fat could explain the "bulge" you mentioned.
5. You have sent me only one ultrasound, which clearly points to PCOD. So I cannot comment on the other one. Moreover, PCOD is also a biochemical finding, not just ultrasound diagnosis, so your blood tests would further confirm the diagnosis of PCOD.
6. There could be many causes for the pain described. It could be pre menstrual pain, as you might be about to have your periods. It could be because of some pelvic infection, mild gastroenteritis, constipation, inflamed appendix, endometriosis, uterine or ovarian tumours etc. The last two are ruled out as your ultrasound is normal, although endometriosis is not always seen on ultrasound, and for the rest, you need a whole abdomen ultrasound. For pelvic or urinary infections, your gynecologist would examine you and take appropriate tests.
7. If your period does not start after deviry, I would suggest you consult your gynecologist again, for further medication and assessment.
8, 9, 10 - I already clarified about the pregnancy part.
11. The result is accurate, and there is no chance.
take care.