Had sex without ejaculation. Pre-cum causes pregnancy? Birth control tablet needed?

Question
I need to ask few questions related to sex. I was reluctant to consult the doctor in person. Me and my GF had sex and I didn't ejaculate. However, we got worried that if she get pregnant. I need to know whether pre-cum can cause pregnancy? If she has to take birth control tablets or not? Thank you
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 10 minutes later

Chances of pregnancy with precum are there(about 50%)as it does contain some amount of sperm.

But it also largely depends on which day of the woman's cycle was the intercourse done.

If it was nearing ovulation days(fertile days when egg is released and it is 9 to 16 days in a regular 28 to 30 day cycle and the first day of period is counted as Day 1 ) then possibility is more.

If it has been less than 72 hours of the act then she can consider to take Emergency Contraceptive pill which can prevent pregnancy if any by chance.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.

Follow-up: Had sex without ejaculation. Pre-cum causes pregnancy? Birth control tablet needed? 8 minutes later
What do you suggest should we wait for the time or take ECP? It is not 24 hours yet. She was telling me that I'll know after 20th or 25th of this month September if she had normal period cycle.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 8 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

I can only guide you to take the pill to avoid pregnancy . But the decision would be taken by both of you.

She can calculate her dates as which day of the cycle was intercourse performed.If it is nearing ovulation or if she has irregular cycles then it is better to have it.

I hope this helps!