Had sex with sheep and buffalo, having joint pain, skin infection tired and sleepy with numbness. HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I had sex with sheep and baffelo 10 years back. Now I'm developing aids related symptoms like joint pain/ skin infection like KS/ full tiredness/ always feeling sleepy(taking one month complete rest)/hand and leg numbness while sleeping. Can a person contract HIV/AIDS via animal sex?

Is there any possibilities of being infected with animal lent virus like visna virus? If do any diagnostic method available? If I'm infected with some unknown virus any lab can find out the new viral culture?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visna virus hostspecific, produce no CD4 depletion

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern.
Visna virus belongs to the group of Lenti virus, in a way it is related to HIV. It can cause a variety of symptoms and affect many organs only in animals and not in man. Most of the organisms causing diseases are host specific and not able to produce disease in humankind. Moreover it will not infect the T Lymphocytes. So the T cell depletion is not expected to occur. Sex with sheep and Buffalo 10 years ago is unlikely to be a cause for your problem.
CD4 count decrease can occur in some other congenital immune deficient conditions other than HIV disease.
I don't have any idea, where there is, tests are available to test for Visna virus. You can seek help from National institute of Virology in Pune or in any other veterinary college.
Meanwhile you consult a Physician for your symptoms and CD4 cell drop and he/she may be able to help you.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had sex with sheep and buffalo, having joint pain, skin infection tired and sleepy with numbness. HIV? 8 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

I will put it in this way.

In your experience did any one contracted aids via animal sex?

Is there any possibilities?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV can not occur with animal sex. not reported.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

In my 30 years of practice in the field of genital disease and 25 years in HIV practice, I do come across few cases of bestiality (animal sex) and some problems due to that.
As I had told you earlier most of the diseases are host specific. Most of the STDs cannot manifest in animals and similarly many diseases in animal world cannot occur with humans.
I do agree bird flu, swine flu can occur. Certain other diseases like Avian TB, Toxoplasma, Cryptococcus can not occur in normal immuno-competent person and it can occur in presence of immune deficiency like HIV disease.
As far as HIV is considered it is a host specific disease, it will not occur in any other animal.
African green monkeys and Macaques are having related virus (Simian virus) can produce similar HIV like picture in primates not in other animals. HIV is supposed to be acquired from animal world due to mutation of virus.
I have not come across any case of HIV through animal sex. It is not possible especially from sheep and buffalo.