Had sex with girl without knowing the HIV status. Got herpes I & II IgG test report & it has come Positive. Suggest?

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Sir,

I had sex with one girl in abroad 7 months before & her HIV status is unknown,
today i got my Herpes I & II IgG test report & it has come Positive, 5 days before i got HIV Test & its Negative(HIV test Type- HIV quick test Abbott), so will i conclude like i dont have HIV & I have only Herpes...pls suggest me...

Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

I can understand your concern.

Getting IgG positive indicates that you have antibodies to herpes virus. However, it does not indicate active infection. It means you have got an infection in the past. It might have been a subclinical infection.

Hence, there if nothing that you need to do about it right now. In case you get any lesions, they should be treated immediately.

Please let me know if I can address any other concern for you. Regards.

Follow-up: Had sex with girl without knowing the HIV status. Got herpes I & II IgG test report & it has come Positive. Suggest? 18 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

i am worried about HIV, 5 days before i got HIV Test & its Negative(HIV test Type- HIV quick test Abbott) is there any chances of converting herpes virus into HIV Positive at later stage without active in Sex...

Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

HIV and herpes are caused by different viruses. Hence, having herpes antibodies doesn't make you vulnerable to contracting HIV.

However, if you had HIV, your immunity would lower and that would make you vulnerable to contracting herpes infection.