Had sex with HIV infected person. Having lots of anxiety. Is P24 test good?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I am a 34 year old female last Wednesday I unknowingly had sex with an HiV positive uncircumcised male...he admitted he was positive on sunday...what should or could I do P24 test a good option I have a lot of anxiety...please help I cant talk to anyone I feel very stupid he told me he was clean and I believed him..he did not ejaculate inside of me
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Nearly 30- 40% of the couple among the HIV positive individuals are remaining sero-discordant ( That is one of the partner is remaining HIV negative) in spite of regular and consistent sex.
So it is not always necessary to get the infection by a single contact. The risk through heterosexual genito-genital contact is 10 per 0000 exposures as per CDC, USA. information.

You can go for P24 Antigen test or HIV DNA PCR test which becomes positive as early as 1 week if infection occurs and the same should be repeated after 4 weeks. If it is negative after 3-4 weeks of the risky exposure, then you can relax and relieved from all tension and fear and forget about HIV. Don't forget safe sex here afterwards.

Nowadays HIV is like any other disease and manageable easily and those with HIV can live decently without any problem for more than thirty years. HIV child recently cured completely and a Berlin patient also had been cured completely, so a cure is on the way.

Wish you good luck.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had sex with HIV infected person. Having lots of anxiety. Is P24 test good? 18 minutes later
Should I go to the ER or to my Gynecologist or primary care doctor for the test?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

You need not XXXXXXX a Gynecologist as you are not having any other complaint pertained to your genitals.
You can XXXXXXX any counselling center for HIV is available, there also you can contact.
Dr S.Murugan