Had sex while on pill. Started cramping and came off the pill. What should I do?

Average

Question
hi, i had my bleed from last pack of pills, then only took 5 days of pills, had sex once but was taking pill at time, i came off suddenly cos i had cramp alot, i havent had sex since but have had no bleed even though i only took new pack for 5days, been about 10 days now and nothing is happening, what do i do?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Oral pills are very effective in preventing pregnancy with a nominal failure rate of 0.1% only, but once irregular on treament or on other medicines which induce it's metabolism they are unreliable even when you took them.
For that very reason you should not wait for long now and get a urine pregnancy kit and check the UPT yourself.
It is easy and fairly reliable method of pregnancy detection.
If positive then decide early to terminate/keep the pregnancy because if you decide to terminate later the chances of complications increase.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Had sex while on pill. Started cramping and came off the pill. What should I do? 38 minutes later
thanks for answering my question, me and my partner don't want kids and yet i havent had a withdraw bleed, i did a test yesterday, but it might have been done early, i cant seem to work out when to test, it did come back negative.
my last withdraw bleed was 17th XXXXXXX retook pill 22nd, stopped 27th and had no bleed yet.
please advise ?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
If you had a withdrawal bleed on 17th XXXXXXX only then you still can wait depending on the length of your menstrual cycle.
Mostly it is roughly a month, so you have still time to go.
But still if you are confused, then you can get the serum hCG Levels- increased levels denote pregnancy with more surity than UPT.
A ultrasound abdomen is definitive noninvasive investigation for pregnancy.
But first I would advise you to wait till the time of expected menses is over.

Follow-up: Had sex while on pill. Started cramping and came off the pill. What should I do? 11 minutes later
still abit confused, cos i thought no matter if i took the pills for 5 days there would be a bleed of some sort, when i was on the pill it was about 3rd day i had a bleed, now i dont know if my homones are returning,or to wait until the weekend when i would have been on my pill free time? confused at mo, i take microgynon 30 and i am usually on time with withdraw bleed, but cos i havent taken pill, its hard to work out when next bleed would occur!
i am getting worried now!

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
I personally do not think you are pregnant and the problem is probably arising because your body is getting tuned to new hormonal environment.
If you do not have a bleed, does necessarily mean that you are pregnant,
Yes, you may need to start progestins for withdrawal bleed if the cycle does not regularise itself in coming weeks.
I hope that clears your doubts.

Follow-up: Had sex while on pill. Started cramping and came off the pill. What should I do? 9 hours later
ive got very sore nipples, nothing else, no sickness or nothing which is making me think i am pregnant, they say that's a sign of pregnancy so i am full of fear cos a baby is not what i want.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back,
The breast fullness and soreness in pregnancy is due to hormonal changes only.
You are already taken hormones so a similar situation is faced by your body and symptoms akin to pregnancy are there.
I hope that clears your doubts.

Follow-up: Had sex while on pill. Started cramping and came off the pill. What should I do? 33 hours later
i am confused, am i pregnant?

i had soreness for a few days, no change in size at all, plus i had a tiny bit of blood the other night and wondering if slowly my period is coming.

help!!!

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 6 hours later
I have every reason to believe that you are not pregnant.
If still troubled with doubts then get the serum hCG levels which would clear the scenario.
Wish you a great health.