Had sex while on birth control pills. Can I take Nordette as emergency contraception?

Excellent
Question
Hi doc! It's my 17th day on birth control pill. My partner came inside me. Can I take Nordette as an ECP after 12-14hours? And should I continue taking my other birth control pill? I hope I won't get pregnant. Thank you in advance for answering my question. Looking forward to your reply.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nordette can be taken. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. Your chances of conception are very little due to the fact that you have already passed the mid-cycle and even if you had ovulated (this depends on the type of pill you are using), you are in the safe period because the ovum cannot survive for more than 24 hours after release. You can take Nordette as emergency contraception if you wish to. You are still within the stipulated time interval. You may see withdrawal bleeding a few days later and your next cycle could be delayed. If you do not see your next cycle within 10 days after it is due, you should visit a specialist for further help. You should continue with your usual birth control pill as well. Emergency contraception only provides a one-time protection while the birth control pill provides protection throughout the cycle. Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had sex while on birth control pills. Can I take Nordette as emergency contraception? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your answer doc. I always drink my oral pills at 10pm. If I will take The first set of Nordette tomorrow at 11am. Can I still take my oral pills at 10pm tomorrow then the 2nd set of nordette at 11pm? I still have 4 more oral pills to finish the cycle.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may take your usual dose so as not to break. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. You can take your usual dose of oral pills so as not to break the course. I insist again, you may take Nordette only if you wish; it is not necessary as you are in the safe period. You can expect some gastric disturbances, bloating, breast tenderness etc. apart from the breakthrough bleeding that is usually seen. Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had sex while on birth control pills. Can I take Nordette as emergency contraception? 3 minutes later
Thank you so much doc. You are really helpful. I'm planning to take Nordette just to be really sure. just have one last question. Will the efficacy of the pills be less if I'm taking antibiotics because I recently had wisdom teeth extraction and I was prescribed with Amoxicillin Antibiotic. Thank you so much for being patient in answering my questions.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics can reduce the efficacy of the pills. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your feedback. Antibiotics can reduce the efficacy of the oral pills. You should have additional protection in such a case. If you wish to have emergency contraception, go ahead. Please contact for further information. I will be available to help. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Had sex while on birth control pills. Can I take Nordette as emergency contraception? 37 hours later
How effective is Nordette as an ECP if I'm taking antibiotics? Should I increase my dosage of Nordette?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer: As it is a second line of protection, usual dose. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I feel there is no need to increase the dose of Nordette as you are using it as a second line of defense. Moreover, if you have had your course of antibiotics completed by now, the efficacy would not decrease. Also, the efficacy will not decrease when the antibiotics used are non-enzyme inducing, i.e., do not activate liver enzymes and Amoxycillin is a non-enzyme inducer. Hope your doubt is clarified. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available for help. regards, Shanti.V.