Had sex, took ipill but no bleeding or periods. Concerned about pregnancy?

i had sex with my wife on 1st of sept wih condom but it was leaked out so i suggested to my wife for getting unwanted 72. she took it after approx 24 hours but there are 3 to 4 more days gone but no bleeding or periods yet so i am worrid about pregnancy.
Actually the period date of my wife was 15/08/2013 so probebly it should be around 12 or 13/09/2013.
please let me know generally how much time unwanted 72 takes to get started periods or what is the suitable duration for having sex without adopting pregnancy according to above period's date.

i heard that the period time of normal ladies are 5 days with certain 28 days cycle but my wife gets 7 days of bleeding time with 28 days cycle.

sometimes this cycle get irregular such as for last two months, it was 30 days and 22 days.

Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Actions is immediate....

Detailed Answer:

The effects of unwanted 72 is to make the uterine environment unfavorable for pregnancy. The changes in uterine environment occur within few hours. If a viable ovum is present, these changes make fertilization almost impossible - thus preventing pregnancy.

Since your wife took her this medicine within the stipulated 72 hours, it is almost 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. So do not be worried about pregnancy.

Unwanted pregnancy is not same as other pills. Withdrawal bleeding (in between period) does not happen in all cases. In fact most women report of delayed and excessive normal period with this pill. If she doesn't have withdrawal bleeds before her due dates, expect that her period would be delayed this time around.

As far as suitable time for unprotected sexual intercourse are during safe periods of her cycles. Sexual intercourse during period is the most safest time. Besides that, a week before and 3-4 days period can be considered safe period in her case.

Hope I have answered all your concerns. Write back for enquiries.

Follow-up: Had sex, took ipill but no bleeding or periods. Concerned about pregnancy? 33 minutes later

Thank you very much for providing me your advice......

could you please elaborate little about the period timing...

As i have asked you earlier that normal period time is 3 to 5 days but in my wife's case, it is 7 days with lot of pain and blood even we have one 1.5 Years old baby and why periods are so irragular such as one month, it is 30 or 32 days and other month it is 22 days etc, is there any problem in her?

If you don't mind, i have one more question for my mother as well...

she is around 45 Years old. she is also having period problem such as the periods get started with in every 15 days with huge blood (Hard peices type) and when she is in period duration, lot of smell comes....

As we have already consult with doctor, she said that we have to operate her in this situation so please elaborate this that what is the issue and what could be futher steps?

Thank you once again in advance for your prompt response.......
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, normally women menstruate for 3-5 days with moderate flow (3-5 pads). In some women the period is prolonged to 7 days. Heavy period is considered with it lasts for more than 10 days. In your wife's case, if she had regular periods, I would not be very concerned with her having prolonged period.

Now, as she has periods happening at irregular timing - some which are as short as 22 days and some prolonged up to 32 days, it needs to be evaluated. I would order for relevant blood test like blood hemogram, thyroid function and ultrasound scan to start with. The results will show us the path towards the right treatment.

In your mother's case, I see she is close to her menopausal age group where period irregularities are common. However other symptoms concerns me. I would like to exclude possibilities of pelvic infection, vaginal prolapse, polyp and other genital condition before reassuring you. If you have already met a doctor, I would like to know what are the test performed; if you have some reports with you, please upload them here using the site's uploader.