Had sex, took ipill and having delayed periods. Suggest?

Mar 2016

hello sir.. i am 25 and had sex with my husband on 28th of august. My periods were due on 26th august. after sex next day i took unwanted 72 pill. But i have not got my periods till now. its 9th september. please help
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait 1 wk or consult with doctor to induce period.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, unprotected sex around period due date is very much safe if your previous cycle was regular and there is no chance of pregnancy. So, don't be worried about it.

Second thing, you took unwanted 72 on next day & it is the culprit for late period due to hormonal imbalance and associate mental stress. Most women usually get a withdrawal bleeding within 1 to 2 weeks following taking the pill.

In this scenario, you have two options. These are:

1) You can wait another one week to get your period naturally. Along with, take balanced diet, drink more fluid/ water, avoid mental stress, keep bowel habit regular and need sound sleep. This will help to hasten your period.

2) Do one home pregnancy test to clear confusion after waiting 2-3 days. On negative result, you can take progesterone pill (like norethisterone) to induce your period. For proper prescription, you may consult with your local doctor.

Hope, it is very much helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had sex, took ipill and having delayed periods. Suggest? 44 minutes later
Thank you doctor. my periods were regular till last month. due date has crosssed this month only.Is there any diet which i should prefer to get my periods soon. i am feeling very uneasy.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following foods are helpful to induce period.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, there are certain food stuffs which help to induce period. These include broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. Chose your favourite foods and take them regularly.

Hope, it helps for you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen