Had sex in massage parlor using condom. Not sure of HIV status of the women. Worried about HIV?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor,
I am XXXXX, 31 yers old, unmarried health man.
I have some questions related to HIV AIDS.
I never had sex before and today I had sex with a lady who works in a massage parlor in Bangkok. For sefty, I used a condom during intercourse and after ejaculation I waited for around 2 mins and then removed the condom slowly and then washed my penis with soap and water.
I am soooooo much worried now as that lady is an unknow partner to me and I am not sure her HIV status. Please advice me, am I with any chance now to get infected? Please advice, what should I do now for my peace of mind and to get sure that everything is alright.

Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Quite low chance of HIV. Confirm with PCR DNA.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Most study shows that condom gives protection more than 80% against STD and HIV. Here, risk of HIV transmission is quite low in comparison to unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

2) It is quite better to get tested if you don't know the status of sex partner & you will stay in safe zone. For your concern, most sensitive & specific test for early detection of HIV is PCR DNA. It detects genetic material of HIV instead of antibody in blood. It is also known as viral load test.

It has less window period & usually done after 28 days from last exposure for accurate result. Kindly, consult with your healthcare provider or contact with laboratory to perform the test as early as possible.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion in case of not having other query.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen