Had sex, having white bump on penis and inside foreskin with burning sensation. Is it STD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Well, a couple of days ago I had sex with a new girlfriend. We had sex twice on the same day, and had sex 3 times on the next day. After those two days I noticed that I suddenly had whitish bumps covered the entire head of my penis and the inside of my foreskin. I thought it was probably friction sores until they started to slightly burn. Now, Im starting to think its an std. Help please!!
I've uploaded a picture to help. Also, the burning is mostly my foreskin and not the penile head.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
If you have noticed white bumps on your penis, don't wait before getting it treated. The appearance of white bumps on the penis can be a distressing and painful condition ,and it can interfere with urination, sex and physical activity. Getting an accurate diagnosis is important, as penile white bumps are a symptom of STI's, inflammatory diseases and block hair follicles and sweat glands.

Papules are small white spots which may contain a white fluid, similar to pimples. Only rarely are papules caused by a disease or pathogen, but they can result in some serious complications, especially in men who are immune-compromised. Possible causes of papules include blocked hair follicles or sweat glands, eczema, pearly penile papules (this appears like small warts but is non-infectious) and Fordyce spots. Infectious causes of papules include genital warts and molluscum contagiosum - both contagious STI's that can be difficult to treat.

Ulcers: Ulcers are more serious than papules, and are often caused by infectious disease. When they are small, ulcers may appear similar to papules, but eventually grow larger and fill with clear, white or red fluid. The tissues within and around the ulcer may eventually turn black with necrosis, causing serious complications. Causes of penile ulcers can include STI's like syphilis, chancroid and herpes, cancerous lesions from squamous cell carcinoma, and chronic inflammatory conditions such as Behçet's disease and Reiter's syndrome. Sometimes ulcers can be the result of a physical trauma or blow to the penis. Proper diagnosis is essential, as all cases of penile ulcers require urgent medical attention.

Plaques: Plaques present as thickening, scaly skin conditions which may begin as smaller white bumps on the penis. While some cases of plaques can have an infectious or disease-related cause, often they are due to chronic inflammatory conditions such as acute dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. During these conditions the skin may appear dry, flaky, itchy and present with small white bumps. Balanitis and posthitis are highly painful inflammatory skin conditions of the penis and foreskin, which may be the result of a candida infection. Lichen sclerosis is another inflammatory condition which can cause irritation and thickening of the foreskin, to the point of causing phimosis.

What sort of medications you can take for white bumps on the penis varies greatly, as it depends on your diagnosis. Papules and ulcers are likely to be treated by antibiotic therapy, in order to rid the body of infectious pathogens. Eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis are difficult to treat with XXXXXXX medicine.

Treating white bumps on the penis often will involve both XXXXXXX and external therapies. Upon diagnosis genitourinary specialists can prescribe a range of different topical treatments, including antibiotics, hydrocortisone creme, and antiviral crèmes. Natural creme include botanical extracts, vitamins and minerals may also help to support tissue healing and reduce inflammation.

Just going by the picture alone it is difficult to formulate a diagnosis for you, as the bumps seem to be in the initial stage, and are not visible very clearly in the image.
It is too early to test for STD, which can be done 6 weeks after exposure, however some infections can be diagnosed even now with a swab and by observation. Please consult a Uroandrologist / Genitourinary Specialist to have an accurate inspection and diagnosis.

Meanwhile, please have protected sex. Avoid excessive rubbing, picking or touching of the area. Wear cotton underpants , and avoid accumulation of excessive moisture. Do not shave or abrade the parts.