Had sex during viral fever and periods delay with pregnancy symptoms. Is this healthy pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor,

We are having one and half hear old girl baby. I am having query regarding healthy pregnancy. My husband was in viral fewer last month.However we had intercouse when he felt beter after soon recovering from fever. I have not got my period this month and symtoms seems like conceived.
is this a healthy pregnancyy ? as my husband was not well that time. Also, what is the minimum required gap between the first child birth and go for second child.please advise.

Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is healthy pregnancy. Minimum 18 months space.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Followings are my comments:

1) Yes, if you get positive pregnancy test, then it will be a healthy pregnancy as you did sexual intercourse after his recovery.

Second thing, viral fever in males usually does not affect the quality of sperms and does not have any effect on the growing fetus or baby. So, you don't worry regarding this.

2) Ideal birth space is 3 years between two successful pregnancies. However, a minimum gap of 18 months or 1 & 1/2 year is required before planning to second child after first one and carry a healthy pregnancy.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Had sex during viral fever and periods delay with pregnancy symptoms. Is this healthy pregnancy? 26 hours later
Thanks doctor for your kindful consultation.
Done UPT and is positive pregnancy.

Just want to more clear on sperm quality of my husband and any impact on
He got normal fever for four days and took medicine then he felt better. we had intercourse that time but again he got high fever after two days . Then went to doctor,checked and gave medicine for five days and said it's viral fever with more cough, throat infection and cold. After completion of the five days course he is doing good now.

Please confirm if there is any chance of impact sperm quality and healthy pregnancy ? Actually we have not planned now for pregnancy and thought of after six months only. But unexpectedly its conceived now so we don't want abort it if its healthy pregnancy.

Also, Exact gap between my first delivery and now is 16 months.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry. It is a healthy pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Don't be worried and it is obviously a healthy pregnancy. Viral fever and common cold do not cause any adverse effect on sperm quality and growing fetus.

You can continue this pregnancy in spite of 16 months gap from first delivery. It is a better option in my opinion. Don't need to abort it due to above causes.

In addition, you must undergo one TVS scan around 6-7 weeks to get detailed picture of fetal well being including fetal heart beat. It is a good indicator of healthy pregnancy at early stage. Do periodic check up to your doctor.

Take balanced diet with extra protein, vitamin & folic acid supplements, drink more water for better feto-placental circulation, avoid mental stress and sex in first trimester, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ uneven surface & take adequate bed rest. These are the key component of healthy pregnancy.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen