Had sex during mid cycle of periods. How to avoid risks of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor....i m XXXXXXX I had sex with my wife on 23rdNov yesterday at around 11.50am Her mc started on 7th Nov. So i want to ask, is there any risk to pregnancy? If yes pls suggest best medicine
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: RISK OF PREGNANCY IS THERE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. You did sex close to her Ovulation day (14 days prior to due date) or fertile days. Therefore, chance of pregnancy is quite high. In this circumstance, she can take emergency contraceptive pill like Unwanted 72 or I-Pill to avoid unwanted pregnancy. It gives more than 95% protection if it is taken within first 24 hrs of sex and around 85% within 24 to 48 hrs. Hope, it helps for you. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Had sex during mid cycle of periods. How to avoid risks of pregnancy? 15 minutes later
Thanks for quick answer...pls also mention the pills name....also let us know the side effects of contraceptive pills...bocz i m worried she is just 22yr old..... If she does not want to take pills and lets see........if got pregnancy then what is the suitable abortion time process/ treatment Etc..... Awaiting your answer
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) I have already mentioned the pills name (UNWANTED 72 or I-PILL) in my earlier text. Just go through it properly. She would take it at the earliest. 2) Side effects are quite tolerable and nothing much serious like nausea, abdominal cramp, vomiting, spotting etc. She will get a withdrawal bleeding within 7 to 10 days. It is quite common and normal thing. 3) At this stage, emergency contraceptive pill is the best medicine to prevent unwanted pregnancy. However, one home pregnancy test is required to rule out pregnancy if her period is delayed more than 1 week. Early pregnancy test is less significant. 4) If pregnancy test becomes positive, medical abortion is the best choice and it can be done effectively up to 7 weeks of gestational age (max 9 weeks). It is calculated from last menstrual period date. One ultrasound scan is required to determine the nature of conception (tubal or uterine). 5) If medical abortion is required, then you must consult with local healthcare provider or gynecologist for proper prescription and direction of the prescribed medicine. She NEVER take abortion pill by own. The procedure is associated with several risk like excessive vaginal bleeding, cramp, fainting, vomiting etc. Some supportive medications are also needed for emergency purpose. Hope, it helps for your information. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion. Good luck. All the best. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had sex during mid cycle of periods. How to avoid risks of pregnancy? 56 minutes later
Can we first check the pregnancy test by preganews right now? if positive then she'll take contraceptive pills as suggested by you...if negative then no need to take pills. Pls advice
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EARLY PREGNANCY TEST IS INVALID. TAKE THE PILL. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for additional query. No, it is too early for the pregnancy test and it will be invalid test if it is done now. Pregnancy test is valid 2 weeks after sexual intercourse or ovulation time. In this case, she can undergo one home pregnancy test after her missed period or 7th December and not before that. Therefore, she would take emergency pill at the earliest to avoid possible unwanted pregnancy. Sooner will be better for her. Hope, above information is helpful for your understanding. If you have any further query, you can revert back any time. Regards, Dr Soumen