Had sex day before periods was due and have missed period. HPT negative. What else?

Hi im lily
I had sex a day before my period was due and now im five days late had a pregnancy test was negative
Been haven't drops of blood when I go to the toilet and wipe please help
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Having an intercourse just before a period does not cause any pregnancy as ovulation is by far over at that time and it is the safe period. So, please do not worry about pregnancy. It is only that you are perhaps experiencing a delayed cycle as happens often during the normal course of events.

If you happened to have unprotected intercourse during mid-cycle and if you are not on any contraception, you should suspect pregnancy. You can get serum beta-hCG levels assessed to exclude/confirm pregnancy. If excluded, you can safely wait for your normal period or if the spotting persists, see a gynecologist for management of the hormonal imbalance that may have occurred during this cycle.

Sudden disturbances in weight, stress of any form, certain medications and infections can lead to menstrual disturbances.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.