Had sex after surgical abortion, negative home pregnancy test. Are there any chances of being pregnant now?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi..i had a surgical abortion on XXXXXXX 2nd. I was told not to have sex for another 2 weeks after that, but i was so sad and found comfort in sex, so we had sex everyday for 7 days straight after the abortion. He never ejaculated inside of me, but we didn't use protection. I also think it was the hcg or maybe i was ovulating, because I felt..er very fertile, though it could have been just in my mind. It's been exactly 30 days since my surgery. I want to know if there is any chances of being pregnant again right now, though I took the home pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative...i'm hoping that I AM pregnant. I wish there was a chance that I could be pregnant- could it be possible that I am pregnant since i didnt get my period yet, but the pregnancy test didn't pick it up yet? please help me. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX paik,

normally after D&C around 2 to 3 weeks of abstinence is adviced, because
during the procedure the endometrial layer of the uterus will be scraped off, for regeneration of the layer it will take around that time.

the time of ovulation after D&C will vary depends on,

-the level of HCG before D&C, as for return of ovulation the HCG should become zero,
in case of early gestation with low levels of HCG ovulation can return early may be within 2 weeks,
if gestational age was more with high HCG levels and if any retained bits of placental tissue remained inside, the HCG levels will take more time to come down then the ovulation will delay like may be up to 6 weeks.

so if your ovulation returned early at around 2 weeks after D&C, if you had intercourse around that period (though he didn't ejaculated sometimes the pre-ejaculated fluid contains spermatozoa) then there is chance of pregnancy.

as you crossed your due date of periods, you better go for blood test for pregnancy which will rule out the presence of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had sex after surgical abortion, negative home pregnancy test. Are there any chances of being pregnant now? 5 minutes later
I heard I am more fertile after an abortion, is this true? How immediately am I fertile?
Since I had sex with my bf until the 7th day after abortion (long distance relationship), could his sperm stay inside of me, and gotten me pregnant? If that is possible, and I am pregnant currently, will my home pregnancy urine test kit pick it up? Is it possible that it won't pick up the hcg levels for another 2 weeks if i conceived just 3 weeks ago? or would it definitely show by now? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
hi XXXXXXX pick,

-normally women with complaints like endometrial hyperplasia etc will improve their fertility with D&C, so that is in general people say that fertility improves with abortion or D&C but that is not true in all.

-as I told ovulation can return as early as within 2 weeks, so if intercourse occur at that period you will conceive.

-sperms won't stay alive for 7 days in female genital tract means up to the time of ovulation(if at all occurred), if you had intercourse on the day of ovulation or one day before or after that then the chances of pregnancy are more.

-some urine pregnancy test kits are less sensitive and may not detect low levels of HCG in early gestation,
so we can't say whether it definitely show by now or not,
better to go for blood test for pregnancy
or for urine test 5 weeks after D&C as you said.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had sex after surgical abortion, negative home pregnancy test. Are there any chances of being pregnant now? 41 hours later
Hi. Well I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome, which would have endometrial hyperplasia, so I guess I'd be one of those cases. Well, if I had sex on XXXXXXX 10th, and I was ovulating, when would be the earliest I can take a pregnancy test and be positive? Thank you.

hi XXXXXXX paik,

poly cystic ovary syndrome causes menstrual irregularities like oligomenorrhea that may be reason for your delayed periods,

having D&C on 2nd XXXXXXX and ovulating on 10th XXXXXXX is some what rare,
anyhow if at all you conceived on 10th XXXXXXX
you can go for blood test or urine test for pregnancy now as it will be 26 days over from conception, if at all pregnancy is there the test will detect.