Had sex after periods, took plan B. Have bleeding, nausea, heart burn, cramping and mild headaches. Normal?

I recently had a coronary artery calcium scoring CT. I had a score of 258.9 putting me in the moderate category?The LAD was the only artery which showed calcification.How does this happen that only one artery is damaged and the other three are completely clean?Showed no. of lesions at 4-what does this mean? I scored a 8 on the Framington risk test-which test is a better indicator and why is calcification test not covered by ins.? I have not seen my GP yet but would you refer me to a cardiologist because of this score?What can lower score as far as lifestyle /diet changes?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 3 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

Left Anterior Descending Artery (LAD) is the main artery that supply the heart and its carrying major blood supply so its possible to have more calcium deposition then other arteries of heart but its not necessary that all the calcium is recognized by the calcium scan if below the limit of scanning machine pick up range (basically means a little bit might be their but nothing worry some)

Now about Framington risk test of 8 /10 is at high risk of having heart disease.

Yes certainly I will refer you to cardiologist for check up.

Now their are different points about how the score is calculated in the Framington risk test, and the modification is helpful if we take those certain thing into consideration. But here are general things that will help to reduce the risk as far as diet and lifestyle is concerned.

1) Moderate exercise 30 min a day for atleast 5days /week.
2) Avoid fried and fatty food as much as possible.
3) Since your calcium level is high you need to be careful taking dairy products.
4) Take fresh fruits and vegetables as much as possible (avoid bananas )
5) Avoid smoking and alcohol as much as possible.
6) Regular blood work for triglyceride and cholesterol levels , calcium levels and EKG Recommended at interval of 4-6 months is required.

Hope you find it useful, please feel free to contact me in case of any concern.

Follow-up: Had sex after periods, took plan B. Have bleeding, nausea, heart burn, cramping and mild headaches. Normal? 5 hours later
Thank You for your answer.I understand there are variables in the Framington risk test but I just looked the scoring and my score of 8% would put me in the "low risk at 10% or less."
In your opinion why dont insurance companies pay for coronary calcification test?

Of the six things recommended which would be the No.1 most important to reduce further damage.

I take a daily 137 synthroid-would this have any effect on calcium levels?
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 50 minutes later

Welcome back, Yes excellent you got the point, the risk you are at is only 8-16% chances of having heart disease. ( its very very low risk as compare to your of 57)

Now I tried to bring the importance of having that test, but its just doesn't get in the insurance people's mind.

The silver bullet is NO-smoking and No alcohol and exercise.

Taking synthroid do not have effect on calcium levels, their is another hormone known as PARA THYROID Hormone which takes care of calcium, I insist you to have your parathyroid hormone level checked.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any further concern,

Thanks again.